15 Jun 2012
Diplomatic relations between Hungary and Thailand were established on 24th October 1973. Hungarian Embassy was opened in Bangkok in 1978 and the Royal Thai Embassy in Budapest was established in 1989. Since then Thailand also maintains a Commercial Office in Budapest to enhance bilateral ties between the two countries in the area of trade and business.
Hungary and Thailand enjoy friendly, co-operative relations. High level visits between Thailand and Hungary have further developed closer bilateral co-operation.
In 1993 the Hungarian President Árpád Gönz, in 1995 the Speaker of the Hungarian Parliament Zoltán Gál, and in 1998 the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development paid official visits to Thailand. From Thai side the most important visits were the followings:
During the 19-20th century, there were three significant visits to Hungary by the Royals of Thailand namely - H.M. King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) visited Budapest, Kisbér, Bábolna and Gödöllő in 1897 - H.M. King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) at that time he was H.R.H. the Crown Prince, visited Budapest in 1902 - H.M. King Prajadhipok (Rama VII) and H.M. the Queen visited Budapest and Mezőkövesd in August 1934.
Prime Minister Prem Tinsulanonda (1988), H.R.H Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn (1989), H.R.H. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn (1994) and Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce Supachai Panitchpakdi (1994, 1998) came to Hungary.
H.R.H. Princess Chulabhorn paid three royal visits to Hungary in 2000, 2005 and 2006.
Reciprocal Parliamentary visits have taken place regularly.
Thai Ambassadors to Hungary